Study In Australia
Australia is world’s sixth largest country by its area including the island of Tasmania and the remaining smaller islands.
Australian culture is as broad as its countryside. Its multiculturalism reflects in its food, lifestyle and cultural practices.
Australia’s population is roughly 22.7 million people. Victoria and New South Wales are the largest states with most population with their respective capitals, Melbourne and Sydney, the largest cities in Australia.
Australia’s population is concentrated along the coastal region of Australia from Adelaide to Cairns.
Australia’s weather is temperate for the most of the year in the majority of areas.
The northern part of Australia is typically warm all the year, while the states at southern part experience cool winters.
Snow falls during the winter months is good for skiing in Tasmania, Victoria, and in southern New South Wales.
Geographically, Australia has lied between the Pacific and Indian oceans;the country has a coastline of 36,735 km long.
Canberra is the nation’s capital city, with a population of approximately 320,000 people.
While Captain James Cook is credited for its discovery in 1770, a Portuguese possibly visited this, while the Dutch are known to have explored the coastal regions in the 1640s.
Australia still continues to follow the Westminster system of government and law inherited from that of British, who actually ruled the country.
The scholarship provides students with a tuition fee waiver of AUD 1000 in their first semester. The scholarship continues for each semester as long as the student completes all the units successfully.
Any of the Citizens from a Commonwealth country are eligible. Age limit is 25 and they should hold a university degree.
University of Wollongong (Australia)
Australian Universities also offer scholarships for undergraduate Indian students. Every year, University of Wollongong awards UOW Bradman Foundation Scholarship to a selected Indian applicant which allows 50% fee reduction.
Australian Development Scholarships
Scholarships for International Students CDU Australia
Vice-Chancellor’s International High Achievers Scholarships
CDU offers a 50% tuition fee scholarship for full-fee paying high academic achievers, for the full duration of any undergraduate, postgraduate or research degree. Previous Grade average of 75% and maintaining academic progress each semester between 60 – 74% are the conditions required for this scholarship.
International House Darwin Accommodation Scholarship
Charles Darwin University is offering $2000 on-campus accommodation scholarships for full-fee paying international students.The scholarships will be awarded to students who are eager to possess and show their ability to make a positive contribution to the International House Darwin community. They must also assist the IHD Activities Co-coordinator in organizing two events for the community.
International Postgraduate Research Scholarships – This program focuses on improving the quality of Australian research by allowing graduates to study in Australia with some of the best researchers in their respective field.
This funding depends upon the students overall research performance.
JASON (Joint academic scholarships online network) – JASON is a postgraduate scholarship search engine. Students can search for their Scholarships details in the database.
Australia Awards Scholarships
Australia Awards Scholarships are administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade with an aim to contribute to the development needs of Australia’s partner countries in line with bilateral and regional agreements.
They offer opportunities to folks from developing countries to undertake full time college under graduate or postgraduate study at taking part Australian universities and Technical and more Education (TAFE) establishments.
The study and analysis opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop skills and data of people to drive amendment and contribute to the event outcomes of their own country.
The Awards are offered for the time period needed for the individual to accomplish the educational program intended by the Australian educational academy:
The Awards are offered for the minimum period needed for an individual to complete the academic program intended by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. However, the following benefits apply generally:
- Return air tickets—payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route.
- Establishment allowance—Students has to pay an amount of only $5,000 as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, and study materials.
- From 1 January 2013, Consulting Legal Education payable to Scholars studying under ADS is a$30,000 per annum.
- A compulsory 4-6 week program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies called Introductory Academic Program (IAP). This will cover information on life and study in Australia.
- Students’ basic medical costs (with the exception of pre existing conditions) will be covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only).
- If deemed necessary Pre-Course English fees (PCE) may be available for students for in-country training.
- To ensure a Scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience, supplementary Academic Support may be available.
- Fieldwork (for research students only)—may be available for eligible research students.
- Applicants need to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia saying that they will comply with the conditions of the scholarship.
- Once they are awarded, they need to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the awardee incurring a debt for the total accrued cost of their scholarship.
Australia Awards Leadership Program
The first 200 outstanding Australia Awards Scholarship recipients worldwide will get a place in the Australia Awards Leadership Program in addition to their scholarship.
The Australia Awards Leadership Program is supplementary to the Australia Awards Scholarships.
Australia awards fellowships
Australia Awards Fellowships are intended to address priority regional development issues, develop leadership and to build links and partnerships between Australian and their partner organisations in developing countries in the Middle-East, Africa, the Caribbean, Latin America, and Asia-Pacific region.
These Fellowships collaborated with a wide cross-section of the Australian community. Australian organisations got the opportunity to build and strengthen links with organisations in developing countries by offering professional development opportunities in Australia.
The goal of Australia Awards Fellowships is to develop appropriately trained current and aspiring leaders in priority areas, who, in the short to medium term, will be in a position to advance key regional policy objectives and increase institutional capacity of partner countries. Australia Awards Fellowships are designed to complement individual bilateral country programs by offering flexible learning opportunities that address current and emerging needs at the country, sub-regional and regional levels.
Australia Awards Fellowships do not lead to academic qualifications. Instead, they are designed to provide short term opportunities for study, research and professional attachment programs in Australia, delivered by Australian organisations, to nominated fellows from eligible countries.
Through Australia Awards Fellowships, Australian organisations can apply for funding to support a range of professional development activities that will build expertise and leadership capacity in eligible countries.
Australia Awards Fellowships are awarded twice in a year. The awardees will be selected through a competitive selection process. The Australia Awards Fellowships submission guidelines provide detailed information on the application process.
Applicants should submit their application before their deadline.
Documents required to be attached to the online application form:
- A detailed and accurate budget based on the template provided (Excel template preferred)
- A curriculum vitae (CV) incorporating individual ‘return to work plans’, based on the template provided (Word template preferred): Fellowships CV template.
- A letter of support from each overseas counterpart organization, signed at a senior level (no template—if the letters of support are not attached, the application will automatically be deemed ineligible)
- An unbound printed hard-copy of your application, including the online submission review page and copies of all supporting documents, should be received by the department.
Endeavor pg scholarship awards
The Endeavour Postgraduate Awards provide full financial support for international students for a period of 2 to 3.5 years to undertake a postgraduate qualification either by coursework or research in any field of study provided in Australia.
- Total Award Value – Up to $AUD228, 500 for PhD and $AUD118, 500 for Masters
- Travel Allowance: $AUD4, 500
- Establishment Allowance: $AUD4, 000
- Monthly Stipend (up to 3.5 years, pro-rata basis): $AUD2, 500 per month.
- Tuition Fees per semester (for up to 2 years for Masters and 3.5 years for a PhD): Up to
- $AUD12, 500 per semester/trimester for Masters and PhD
- Health and travel insurance will be provided.
To apply for the 2014 Endeavour Postgraduate Awards, international applicants must first satisfy
The eligibility requirements detailed below:
- International applicants must be citizens and/or permanent residents of a participating country (see Section 4.3) and may not hold dual citizenship with Australia.
- International applicants who currently hold a valid Australian student visa are not eligible.
- Applicants who have completed an Endeavour Award and/or AusAID Scholarship in the preceding 24 months (2 years) before the current round of the Endeavour Awards are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree (minimum) at the time of Application, demonstrating high academic achievement.
- Applicants must have applied for and gained admission to a Masters or PhD course in Australia.
Applications for the 2015 round are expected to open in April 2014. Please check the Australia Awards Endeavour Scholarship and Fellowships website closer to April 2014 for further information, applicant guidelines and eligibility criteria.
Applicants undertaking study for a Masters Degree or PhD must provide a confirmation of enrolment or an offer of admission letter from the host university/institution they have applied to.
Applications for the 2014 Endeavour Awards opened on 6 April 2013. Deadline was 30 June 2013.
It is important to read the 2014 Endeavour Application Guidelines and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships program enables International students to undertake a postgraduate research qualification in Australia and gain experience with leading Australian researchers. These scholarships will be funded for a period of two years for a Post graduate degree.
This scholarships cover tuition fees, living expenses, and health costs.
To be eligible for an International student, a student must:
- Be an international student
- He/she should meet international student visa requirements as specified by the Department of Immigration and citizenship (DIAC)
- Be commencing full-time enrollment for the first time in a Higher Degree Research at an eligible scholarship provider in Australia
- Be undertaking study in a subject area identified by the provider as one of its areas in research concentration.
- Not hold a research qualification regarded by the provider to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree.
- Not have held an Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) scholarship within the two years prior to commencing the IPRS; and
- Not be receiving a scholarship for which course tuition is a component under any other scholarship scheme to which the Australian Government makes a substantial contribution.
You must check with the Universities if they require specific eligibility requirements.
Sydney Achievers International Scholarships
The Sydney Achievers International Scholarships provide an opportunity for meritorious students to enjoy the Sydney experience at one of the finest institutions of higher education in the world.
The scholarship covers tuition fees and living expenses up to three years with a possibility of one semester’s extension for PhD students.
Macquarie Vice-Chancellors International Scholarships
Macquarie Vice-Chancellors International Scholarships are available across most courses to cover International tuition fees for study in an under graduate or post graduate course work degree at the University’s North Ryde campus.
The scholarship covers full international tuition fees for under graduate or post graduate coursework degree.
To get this scholarship, the applicant should be:
- A citizen of a country other than Australia or New Zealand.
- He/she should have met the University’s academic and English requirements for the course to be considered for a scholarship (must hold a FULL OFFER of admission for North Ryde by the application deadline).
- They should have achieved a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.7 (out of 4.0) for Postgraduate applications and minimum requirement of 92 (out of 100) for under graduate applications.
Melbourne International Research Scholarships
Melbourne International Research Scholarships are awarded for International students who want to pursue graduate studies at Melbourne University.
A living allowance of $24, 653 per Annum
Relocation Grant of $ 2,000 awarded to students who are moving from interstate in order to study at the University of Melbourne or $3,000 awarded to those who are moving from overseas.
Thesis allowance of up to $420(2013 rate) for Masters by research and up to $840 for PhD and other doctorate by research candidates, and paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
To be eligible for this, applicants should have an unconditional offer letter to study graduate studies.
University of Adelaide
University of Adelaide offers scholarships for international students who are pursuing Masters. The purpose of these scholarships is to attract high quality overseas post graduate students to areas of research strength in the University of Adelaide to support its research effort.
This scholarship covers tuition fees for two years for a Masters degree by research and three years for a Doctoral research degree.
An annual living allowance ($25, 392 in 2014) for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only), and
If the award holder holds a subclass 574 visa the award covers the cost of compulsory standard overseas student health cover (OSHC) World care policy for the student and their spouse and their dependants (if any) for the period of scholarship.
La Trobe Academic Excellence Scholarships for International Students
La Trobe’s Academic Excellence Scholarships (AES) are targeted towards high achieving international students from all countries across all of La Trobe’s under graduate and post graduate coursework programs.
University of Newcastle Postgraduate Research Scholarships
The University of Newcastle offers a number of postgraduate research scholarships to support international research candidates. One of these is the University of Newcastle International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (UNIPRS) funded by the Research Division. This Scholarship is for Master’s degree or PhD degree by research.